Chai Tea | Recipe
In India, this warming and stimulating spiced chai is traditionally brewed in milk not water, so feel free to replace water with the milk/plant beverage of your choice in this recipe.
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 1 stick cinnamon, broken
- 1 tsp cardamom pods (crushed with pestle and mortar)
- 2-3 cloves
- 3 black peppercorns
- 2 cups water
- 1-2 teabags black or green tea bag(s) (or 1- 2tsps, heaped loose tea).
- Put all the ingredients, except the black or green tea, into a saucepan.
- Decoct – bring to a slow simmer for 10 mins
- Remove from the stove, add green or black tea and let steep for another 3-5 minutes.
- Strain into a teapot to share or a flask to sip throughout the day. Sweeten with honey to taste and add your preferred milk.
OPTIONS: You can also add an inch of fresh grated turmeric to the recipe or grate a little nutmeg into the decoction while simmering.
BENEFITS: Warming, stimulating, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant rich, calms digestion.
All content provided on this website is for general information purposes only and is not intended to replace medical or specialist advice.
A qualified Medical Herbalist is always your best resource for information related to herbal medicines.
Registered Dietitians are a reliable and trusted resource for nutrition related information, always up to date and always ready to work with you to realise your goals.